The more we understand about our lake, the better able we are to care for it. This section of our website will grow into a library of useful information about risks and protections to our lake that we all may like to know more about. If there is a topic that you would like to learn more about, please use the button below to go to our Contact page to tell us about your interest or to volunteer your time researching a planned topic.
Topics of Interest:
Hover your cursor over the OUR LAKE item on the main menu to see what topics are currently available. Click on one of them to display the information. Use these topics for ongoing education and for periodic reference. And PLEASE provide us your feedback!
Planned Future Topics:
The following topics will be developed as members and directors commit their time:
- Zebra Mussels – are zebra mussels growing or shrinking in numbers? What is their effect on fish populations? Can anything be done to reduce or eliminate them?
- Septic System Maintenance – which products and chemicals are harmful and helpful to the function of our septic systems and the health of the lake? How often should your system be pumped out? What should you do if your system is not performing well?
- Swimmers Itch – what are the causes and remedies for swimmers itch? How can it be controlled?
- Fish Populations – what changes are happening in the lake as it relates to fish populations? Which of those changes are natural, and which are man-made?
- Features of the Black Lake Watershed - what are the natural and man-made features on the land that drains into Black Lake that give it it's unique traits - it's black color, it's tinted clarity, it's nutrient and mineral levels, it's blend of insect, fish, plant, and crustacean species, and it's rising and falling water levels?